The Salvation Army Mission Statement:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The Youth Center Associate supports the work of The Salvation Army’s Family Activity center by serving as a positive influence on children, kindergarten – high school senior, through productive interactions, structured programming, games, conversations, academic aid, and athletic pursuits. Associate ensures proper child-to-adult ratios and supervision, keeping environment safe, supportive, and uplifting for all.
- Assist Youth Director in long range planning with regard to curriculum, philosophy, and goals
- Complete monthly, weekly, and daily curriculum plans and communicate plans to Director and other Associates
- Implement curriculum, meeting the emotional, physical, intellectual, social, and spiritual needs of program participants.
- Maintain an environment that helps each child have a positive experience at the Center.
- Treat all children with dignity and respect, allowing for individual differences.
- Provide an atmosphere of acceptance and caring for each child, providing appropriate individual attention. Comfort distress in timely manner.
- Be familiar with and adhere to Youth Center policies, health and safety regulations, and emergency procedures. Possess ability to implement all policies, procedures, and protocols immediately.
- Aid volunteer assistants to maintain a professional attitude toward the program, the children, and the staff. Assist if needed with appropriate communication and curriculum implementation.
- Be an example of professionalism at all times.
- Plan, prepare, and care for the environment in which activities take place.
- Participate in on-going staff training and meetings.
- Maintain close touch with the community and families to foster understanding of the Youth Center program.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
Individual must be confident and have an assertive manner; must have the ability to work with children in a professional and compassionate manner. The ability to relate to individuals in a warm, understanding, and empathetic nature without prejudice to demographics; must demonstrate honesty and integrity while working independently and must have the ability to work in a team atmosphere. Individual must be able to pass a background check. Also, individual must be willing to become familiar and supportive of The Salvation Army mission and purpose of operation. Must be 18 years of age or older and possess driver’s license and ability to pass MVR.
High School diploma or equivalent knowledge. Experience with children in a professional setting preferred.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment:
This Position is required to do light to moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to move about, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crouch, and reach with and use arms and hands as required in using standard office equipment and a PC. Individual must be able to frequently lift up to twenty pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to focus. Individual must be able to work with a variety of ages and children with behavioral, emotional, and/or social issues. The work environment for this position is a childcare environment with a moderate to loud noise level, both indoor and outdoor. Work schedule varies.